Monday, February 24, 2014

A Day at the Beach(es)

The forecast for another day of rain did not come to pass.  I’ve been told that this group of islands has its own weather system and the 24-hour forecast means nothing.  So …. yay!!!  In fact, the sun came out in late morning and temps reached the low 70s. 

Before the fun started, I had a few household chores to accomplish at my Little Talbot Island State Park site.




What you would expect after 7 days on the road – filling the water tanks (more on that later), dumping the waste tanks, and even an interior cleaning.  The GDB is sand-free.  At least for a short while. 

To-do list accomplished, I drove the 5 miles to Big Talbot Island on the advice of 2 state park rangers.  This beach has unique features.



I don’t know why erosion deposits this endless tangle of petrified wood here, and not on other beaches.  It’s a singular place.  You hike ½ miles through this dense forest to get to the shore. 



Then it was on to Amelia Island State Park which consists of a narrow strand of beach; today it was staked-out by surf fishermen.  Sorry, no photos of the beach.  But here's one of me and the GDB!



Feeling the urge to find the perfect beach for the perfect afternoon, I moved on to Peter’s Point Beach, located just off Amelia Island Parkway.  This is a county-owned park recommended by a county employee that I met yesterday.  I was thinking this morning how I wish I had pumped him for some local info when he drove right up to me on the beach in his ATV!  Wish I'd had the camera handy.



Had some lunch and got some grading done.  Then it was time for some beachcombing.  



The ranger who checked me in yesterday gave me a shell guide to the islands.  I had fun trying to identify specimens.  



A lady stopped and asked me what I was looking for.  I replied 'my left contact'.  She looked horrified until I told her I was kidding.   

A glorious afternoon!  

Gull's day out

As darkness approached, I headed to a Fernandina Beach Wal-Mart.  It is a quiet location listed in the overnight parking database.  Then it was Skype with John & Doris and now it’s almost time for dinner.

RV Stuff


Read further only if you are interested in my latest RV gadget.  One that will make taking on water so very much easier.

Traveling solo with tiny water tanks can be a challenge when it’s time to refill.  Especially in a Roadtrek.  The RT has a 2-tank (interior and exterior) system.   The fill-ups take place here next to the driver’s seat and in the cargo area where you see the orange plugs.



You only know when the tanks are full from the backflow.  This backflow of water always becomes a fountain and inevitably everything nearby gets wet.  Including you.  Without a partner at the water source to start or stop the flow, you run from water source to input and back again.  Not very efficient.  

Notice in the above photo that one of my home-stereo speakers is in a vulnerable position.  The speaker gets wet along with everything else.  I’m constantly wiping everything down with a towel that I keep just for that purpose.    

One of the contributors to a Roadtrek forum – Robert – blogged about a solution that is both effective and inexpensive.  Voila!



Thanks to the stop-cock, I can turn the water on and off without running a mad dash and getting a bath in the process.



Note: this isn’t the first time Robert has come to the rescue and made my life infinitely easier. Robert, if you are reading this – THANKS AGAIN!!! 


9 comments:

  1. Your left contact. You are bad!

    How I envy your beach time. But somebody has to do it and I can't right now. :D

    I have that water thingie for the Casita, too. It really IS a lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked those the hoses that shrivel p for that reason too. When flushing the tanks in the tt I was able to shut if off from the nozzle end at hand and not drip water all over the inside of the trailer and carpet.

    Just loving the beach pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have the Perfect Hat to go with that perfect beach on that perfect afternoon! Perfectly protected, practical, and pretty! ;-) Get some sand in that GDB, will ya, so I won't miss the beach so badly!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beaches look amazing there--love all the shells. We don't see them much on our beaches. Perfect solution for your water problem--it looks like something everyone might find helpful. Enjoy the sunshine, warmth & beaches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice beach photos. Think I would have been walking around scratching my whatever if I had to locate those fill locations with no information. Very unusual, but smart engineering, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shell hunting...told Jerry he's going to have to start giving them away before long! Glad you are out and about combing the beach...isn't it dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me glad I have two ways to tell if my fresh water tank is full. I can go inside and watch it fill up. Or I can hang outside and watch for the overflow to start leaking. Either way, I never have the mess you get because my tank just overflows underneath the rig until I turn off the water. Yes, it makes a puddle for anyone following me but at least my puddle is OUTSIDE. Mostly I watch from inside and turn the water off before it starts to overflow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those little gizmos! The stop cock is great and having the long tube really simplifies actually getting the water into the tank on my rig.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness for that little water tank filler - I'm surprised they don't have a better system for filling the tanks, but now, it doesn't matter. I love the shells. You'll have to save that paper and the shells you find. Maybe you'll end up with them all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !